Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Strawberry Blanket


Sharing a Slice of Life
There are no finer memories than spending the night at Grandma’s house.  She had things we didn’t at home… like trundle beds!  And when she pulled out the bottom bed, she always pulled the Strawberry Blanket out of the back of the closet as well.
strawberry2 I loved that Strawberry Blanket for as long as I remember.  There was nothing particularly special about it, at that time, except that it had strawberries on it and I loved strawberries.  Now, of course, it also has all the memories associated with it, particularly being tucked in so warm and safe by the most wonderful Grandma that God ever created.

When my mom cleaned out Grandma and Grandpa’s house after their passing, she gifted me with the Strawberry Blanket – which by then had become the Strawberry Blankets.  For some unknown reason, Grandma had cut it into two, and whatever backing the blanket used to have was gone.  So I bought some fabric and put backs on each of them.  They spend most of their time in the back of MY closet now, but it’s surprising how comforting these blankets still are, like a hug from far, far away.  I think it’s time to move them to the front of the closet, and get them ready for the next generation of kids who need a warm, snuggly hug.

8 comments:

  1. Nothing like a comfy, comforting blanket or quilt. I remember how wonderful they feel. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one wonderful quilt. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel the hugs now - reminds me of my Aunt Lynn. Great take on the prompt - Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun memory. I wonder why she cut it into two pieces. Perhaps it became worn on the fold? I like the quilt underneath the strawberry blanket in your photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this story. Thank you for sharing your warm memories of your Grandma. It reminds me of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the blanket, and I can so relate to the comfort they bring. Thanks for sharing. Glad you were the recipient of the blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this, it brought back some memories to me that I thought were forgotten but I guess I will need to "brush them off" and bring them into the light also! thanks again...

    ReplyDelete