Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Short Life of the Unpopular Bonnie Posy

16
The year was 1965.  Yes, that’s me, with my new Christmas present, Bonnie Posy.  Despite the obviously pleased look on my little face,  I have no recollection of ever owning that doll.  Don’t remember playing with it.  Don’t remember picking it up off the floor.  Don’t remember what ever happened to it.

I’ve had a lot of luck learning about old toys through Google and eBay, most impressively through the Ugly Baby posts.  I never thought I’d know so much about that doll.  But for some reason, Bonnie Posy is proving to be a more difficult subject.

The only information I was able to find on this doll was through a couple of newspaper ads, circa 1964-65, one of which appears below:

Ad

The above advertisement was from the Milwaukee Journal, December 4, 1964, courtesy of Google News.  While it vaguely resembles my doll, it’s obviously not the same; but the doll in the ad is the 1964 version, and mine made her appearance the following year – perhaps a newer model.  At any rate, with Cootie games (remember those?) selling for ~$1.50, the $4.99 price tag on this doll would suggest that it was a much-coveted item on the wish list of little girls of that era.

So why don’t I remember this doll?  The only other ad I found was for these dolls on “clearance” in 1967, so perhaps Bonnie Posy was a “flash in the pan.”  Apparently mine was!

4 comments:

  1. I played many a game of Cootie, but don't remember Bonnie Posie. I do remember Chatty Cathy and being a little miffed that people would use that term for me. (kathy at abbieandeveline.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't remember this doll! I think a lot of girls got tagged with "Chatty Cathy", even when their names weren't Cathy! :)

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Bonnie, either. My favorite doll as a kid was Tiny Thumbelina - I still have her packed away in a hope chest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Thumbelina! We had a couple of them at our house too - and how special that you still have yours!

      Delete