Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dippity-DON'T!

Ninety percent of the time I spent at my Grandma Lill's house was fantastic - helping her bake, learning to sew, and when I was old enough, she let me watch her "stories" (soap operas) with her.  But that other ten percent of the time, well...

I was a little kid with goofy hair.  It was fine, but thick, and Grandma hated looking at it.  To call it "unruly" would be an understatement.  Most of the time, she let it slide, but one day, she decided to show me how nice it could look with a "little" work.

So she stuck my head in the sink, towel-dried my hair, and gathered up her "makeover kit" - a comb, a container of rollers, and, of course, her jar of that miraculous green goop, Dippity-do.  That stuff still scares me to this day.  After she got my hair combed out (anyone who had long, thick hair as a child knows the pain that combing entails) she would part off a section, slather it with a generous dip of Dippity-do, roll it up, and proceed to the next piece of hair.

To stop my incessant complaining ("that stuff stinks," "I want to go watch TV," "Stop it, Grandma!" and, of course, "OW!!") she let me play with a few of her rollers - we called them Spaceship Rollers, but the real name for them is Spoolies, probably for more obvious reasons.  These were soft, pliable, rubbery curlers.  A section of hair would be rolled in the middle, and then each end would flip back toward the middle, creating a spaceship sort of shape, and securing the hair.

It seemed to take forever for her to finish rolling my hair - actually, it probably did take forever.  We used every one of her Spoolies in all that thick hair, and she had a lot of them.   Between all those curlers and Dippity-do, the sheer weight of my head hurt my neck to the point of having to lay down, but resting my head on anything hurt worse.  One valuable lesson I learned that day (besides RUN when Grandma gets the curlers out) was to not stress her out while she was rolling my hair, or the curlers would be tight - really tight!

Hours later, she finally took all those miserable little spaceships out of my hair.  I was left with a head FULL of curls so tight and crispy that neither brush nor comb would get through them, and hair bigger than any 1970s rock star ever had!  Grandma looked a little shocked - I started to bawl - and when my mother came to pick me up, I hid on the floor of the back seat all the way home, and immediately stuck my head back in the sink to rectify this terrible situation.

On a positive note, Grandma Lill never tried to fix my hair again.  Instead, she turned her attention to my little sister, who was not nearly as fast as I was after that.

9 comments:

  1. What a funny story! What was your mom's reaction upon seeing you?

    I do remember Dippity-do but I haven't ever seen that type of roller before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Jana! I can't remember my mom's reaction - I was so overwhelmed by my hair that my mother could have picked me up wearing a clown suit and I would not have noticed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the net, ate my response which was something akin to:

    OHHHHH MYYYYY

    I was in dire need of a good smile today, and this post provided it! Thanks for the good read Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that right there is funny. So is there a photo somewhere to memorialize this hair do? I do remember Dippity-do. Mom used to try to tame my cowlick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I thought I'm the last dinosaur roaming who remembers Spoolies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No... but I think there are not too many of us! I didn't know the proper terminology for them until I wrote the blog post, but I googled "Pink spaceship curlers" and found them! lol

      Delete
  6. Love the story! I shared one about me, my hair, and my grandmother a while back. And now that I read your story, I'm wondering if mom didn't use a gel on my hair when styling my ringlets. This was a little before Dippity-Do though. I remember now we used Prell shampoo. (kathy at abbieandeveline.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it with Grandmas and hair? :) I found an old Dippity Do commercial that featured ringlets, so maybe she used something similar on yours. And now that you mention it, my grandma used Prell too!

      Delete